Monday, September 29, 2008

Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover!

Finally, we are inside my house!

I wanted to share with you one of my very favorite projects. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the process but the end result is pretty neat and simple to do. So, I will walk you through the steps I took to make it in case you want to create one of these handy dandy cabinets for your home.

It all started with a dresser I found on the side of the road.

I had wanted an amoire to hide the TV in my master but didn't want to pay the crazy prices that the stores were asking for one.

So I decided to create my own.



(this was the cabinet in my old house)

Here's how I did it:

1) I took three of the five drawers out of the dresser (keeping the best two for the bottom)

2) I measured the new opening on the front of the dresser. Then I went to Home Depot and had a piece of MDF cut to the size of the opening and then cut again down the middle lengthwise.

I also bought some square trim for the doors and to make the faux bookshelf.

3)I bought hinges for the doors and magnetic closure thingies.

4) I nailed the trim in place and placed more trim for the bookshelf.

5) I painted the dresser and the doors with left over house paint and rubbed with antiquing glaze.

6) Now is when I went on the hunt for books at Goodwill and thrift shops and even off my own bookshelf.
Some books I simply liked the colors or designs on the spines. Others I liked the titles or had to do with things that interest me. I even used an Old Baptist Hymnal.

7) Now is when I had to enlist the help of a friend with a table saw. We simply cut the spines off of the books.

8) Then I gathered some accessories to help it look more like I would decorate a real bookshelf.
  • I painted an old picture frame in black and put a black and white family photo taken in England in it. I had found some books about London to lean against it.
  • I cut Styrofoam fruit in half and painted it to look like it is resting on the books.
  • I placed the books in different ways, some leaning and some flat to try and make it look more realistic.
9) Finally, I glued it all onto the doors.

10) I screwed the hinges onto the doors and attached it to the dresser. I added the magnetic closure thingies and it was done.

(the cabinet in my new house)


When we moved, the colors in my master changed so I decided to add shelves (more MDF) and baskets and use this cabinet in my entry. Each of my girls has a drawer for their shoes and they each have a basket for all of their stuff they need to grab on the go. There is also a family basket for the dog leash, umbrellas, sunscreen, etc.



It has turned out to be a great catch-all and the best part is I can close it all up and not see the clutter.


5 comments:

Ashlie said...

Hi! I found your blog from the Joys of Home blog. I love this dresser idea! It looks so real that when I saw the first two pics, I couldn't figure out how a bookcase could open up!! Ha! This is just the coolest idea. Kudos to you for coming up with it!

Woodard Gang said...

Girl...you know I love this project you did! Can I just say it is even better looking in person :o) BTW...I love my curtain and can't wait to hang it up today!!

Elaine said...

i love it!! you are so creative! show me more! show me more!

Robin Beck said...

Oh my goodness how cute is that? I love it great job!
Robin~♥

Elise said...

Wow, that is amazing!! You sure had me fooled.
Elise
Oh, I love your last name!!