Thursday, September 18, 2008

Warts (I mean wreaths) and All

Okay, I have to say, I am feeling pretty vulnerable showing you a mess up first thing. But hey, believe me, there will be more to come...so you might as well see one now.

These are the front doors on our house. When we first moved in I tried everything to try and get things to hang on these hollow metal doors. Here is where the mistake came in...

Yep, that is peeled off paint. I tried these handy dandy suction cup hooks (they look so cool on the infomercials)...after spray painting the fronts black to match the doors, of course. Well, evidently one of my first Florida lessons was that humidity and great suction aren't friends. Not ten minutes after admiring my success...boom, my wreaths are on the ground and the hooks took paint with them. UGGG! And somehow my craft paint was not quite the same shade.

So, I shared my delima with a friend and she shared a great tip. So I thought I'd share it with you.
There is a wood support at the top of the door. By screwing a simple screw into the center of the inside top part of the door it gives you a great place to hang a ribbon.


Here is what is looks like from the front.


And here is what it looks like from the back. It is hardly noticeable and it keeps everything clean looking on the front. I used wide ribbon with wire in it so it fits flush with the door and doesn't hinder the doors opening and closing like the over the door wreath hangers from the store did. When I want change things out, it is easy.

Here is a picture of one of the finished wreaths up close. It started out as a clearnce Christmas wreath from TJ Maxx (gotta love clearance from there) and then I took it to a friend of mine who does floral design and she added some funky feathers. I just loved the artichokes and olive-like berries in it and after pricing what it would have cost for me to buy all the elements and make it myself, I was fired up to find it already done at a great price. The ribbon is a brown wired ribbon that has a crinked look but lies (or lays...whichever, you get the point) nice and flat. I had to be a little strategic to cover my oops spot but I think they turned out great.

Here they are on my front doors. I love them so much I keep them up all year round except Christmas. How ironic.

I hope this helps someone out there before they mess up their front doors. My loss, your gain!

4 comments:

Lori said...

Great idea!! Wish we saw you guys more! It is such a shame!! Miss ya!

Woodard Gang said...

Great idea...never knew that! Love your post...you have a knack for writing my friend :o) And I love your signature...it's way cute! Have fun a bunco!

Elaine said...

such a great idea!!!! just gotta make the perfect wreath to hang!!!!love the blog!!

Ashlie said...

Wow! Who would've thought? Thanks for the great tip...I'll have to remember this one!