Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Girls Rooms

This summer my girls (Grace-9 and Olivia-7) decided that they wanted me to redo their bedrooms as their birthday presents from us. So after a lot of searching for great deals and re-thinking what we had...we are pretty much done. I wanted to share pics of the results.


I recycled some wooden signs I had and made them name plates for their doors. I painted the sides black, decoupaged paper to the front and on chipboard letters and finished it of with some ribbon scraps. Very inexpensive way to individualize their spaces.


Okay, I have to brag on the deal on got on the girls beds. Their rooms are small but I wanted a place for friends and other company to stay. I found two This End Up trundle beds with the trundle mattresses for $125 total (that even included delivery) off of Craig's List. I painted their beds and they worked out perfect. Now the girls can easily pull out their trundles and sleep in the same room on the weekends (sister sleepovers:)


Because we need to be able to pull out the trundle, a traditional nightstand would have been in the way. I found shelves at Joann's and painted them to match their rooms. It is the perfect size for their alarm clocks and a cup of water.


This is a paper mache letter from Joann's. I simply painted the sides black and decoupaged paper on the front. It gives a lot of bang for just a few bucks.


This is hard to see, but this is a picture of the paper close up on the O. It totally describes Olivia. How fun!


I found this empty carved wood frame at a yard sale for $3. I tried to get it for $2 but buckled under pressure and paid $3, lol. I picked some great papers in black, pinks and white and created a patchwork inside. I plan to put pictures in it but haven't yet. The finished product will have to be in a future blog...but you get the idea.


This is another angle.


I found this dresser and night stand at a yard sale for $40. I unscrewed the legs off the night stand and stacked them to save floor space. I love the way it looks together.


I found this lamp at a local thrift store for $1, It was a little faded so I added some polka dots with a pencil eraser dipped in black craft paint. It makes a sassy night light.


We have orangle peel texture on our walls. This made it impossible to get a true staight line when we divided the wall with paint. I had planned to add chair molding but ran out of cash. I decided to hot glue ginham ribbon around the room instead.

I used more ginham ribbon and a tag to dress up this frame.
This is her bookshelf (that I still need to put backing board on) and a cool box from IKEA that I painted black to keep all of her little clutter (I mean treasures) out of sight. The box also serves as a great place to show off her trophies and ribbons.

I used a plate rack and some dollar store silver frames to showcase some pictures (that I still need to have developed, ooppps). I used some scrapbooking frames to make them kinda funky and fun.


This is one of my favorite furniture pieces. A friend of mine in Boston gave me this before we moved from there. It is recycled from MIT.
I still have to work on the window treatments. I have all the stuff but need to find the time. I will add this to a future blog.

Here is Grace's sign.

This is the view of her room from her door.


This is the letter I did for Grace.

Again this paper totally fits Grace's personality.


For Grace's picture board I used four smaller artist canvas and put a large button with ribbon scraps in the center to imitate tufting. I will be putting pictures and embelishments on this board soon.


Another view of her bed.


I found this desk at a thrift store for $30 (was $60 but was 50% off). It was totally ugly wood but I knew it had potential. I used the same cream paint on her bed, dresser and desk and then used antiquing glaze on all three pieces. I painted the hardware, too.


Here it is open. I bought little silver containers for 50 cents each. They are a great way to keep all her stuff organized and out of sight.



This is a close up of the stripe I did on her walls. I used ribbon on the on the top and bottom to frame it out.

This is her nightstand shelf.


Here is Grace's dresser. It is recycled from a friend...gotta love free! It started out green. I painted it to match the other pieces and used left over wall paint to paint the knobs and feet. For the fronts of the drawers I decoupaged more scrapbooking paper. It was a little tedious but I love the results! It truly gave this dresser an unexpected face-lift.
The dresser top sports her cute night light and her trophies and ribbons.
As you can see to the right I still have to work on window treatments in here, too.


Another picture of the dresser.


Some close-ups of the paper on the drawers.

Well, thanks for letting me share more of our home with you.

I am so enjoying reading your comments...keep them coming!

1 comment:

Elaine said...

love all of it!!!! you are so talented! who would have thought to put ribbon on the walls.